Skip to main content

A Sister = A Forever Friend


I dedicate today's blog to my little sister and all the sisters of the world (big and small). (Don't worry brothers you'll soon have a blog of your own) 

A Sister = A Forever Friend


This is just a quick post about someone who is such a major part of my life and essential to my mental health and well being. My sister. I was motivated to post after one of our daily phone calls- because no matter what is going on in life, talking to her for even just 2-minutes makes me happy. She is an amazing human who constantly inspires me to be a better person. She is a superhero mom that does it all. I have no clue how she juggles everything with such grace and still manages to look as if she just stepped out of a magazine. No matter what happens in life, she will always be my sister and my forever friend. I heart her so much I can't even tell you where it begins and ends. For me, family is what roots are to a tree. They keep me grounded, give me life, allow me to blossom, and grow. 

The relationship I have with my sister is something I cherish. How can two people be so opposite and the same all at once? For all the things I lack, she embodies and in her I find the answers to so many questions about myself. Growing-up, having a sister placed first on my Christmas list and was the wish I made when I blew out the candles on my birthday cake. Well, actually it was for a sister AND a radio (just in case ya know). I could hardly wait to brush her hair, share clothes with, and do all the things that sisters do. Little did I know that having a sister would be so much better than I could ever imagine. Actually, she is the one who combs MY hair (she's a hairstylist by profession) and gives me fashion advice (she has the BEST shoe collection), and advice (so wise that little sister of mine). Sometimes I wonder who really is the eldest? We even have our own language that my poor parents have been trying to decipher for years (sorry mom and dad- it's a secret). 

Having a sister has taught me how to be a good friend, to laugh, share, have patience with myself, to never give up, and that sometimes in order to get the job done you gotta suck it up and get to work. There is no major decision in my life that goes without first consulting with her. Sometimes just knowing she is there in silence speaks far greater than any words. I know that I am very fortunate to have a sister, my forever friend. If you have siblings, cherish every second with them and do not take for granted the connection they have to your life. I know many who may not have siblings, but share this special bond with close friends. It doesn't matter if they are related or not, but if what they bring to your life is of value make sure you let them know. 

I cannot ever repay my sister for all she has given to me, so instead I will let her borrow my lip gloss, buy her coffee now and then, and overall be the very best sister in return. Never take your loved ones for granted. We all only get one trip around the sun so make every relationship count! 

With BIG Sister hugs to you all, 
Ane :) 

Favorite Sister Quotes: 
  • You can kid the world, but not your sister.
  • Never let an angry sister comb your hair.
  • A sister is both your mirror – and your opposite.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Suicide Prevention Toolkit" Guest Blog Post by Jennifer Scott

Part of our new format for See, Believe, & Achieve is our guest blogger series. These are individuals from around the world who are part of our SBA family and who have put together mental health and wellness tips to share with our readers. What I really love about this new addition is that it really adds to our mission of creating an online mental health community and allows us all to learn new ways to stay and be healthy in so many ways. Our first guest blogger for SBA is Jennifer Scott. In reading over e-mails, I came across her note and was very honored to "meet" someone who was open and willing to share some insight with readers. Thank you, Jennifer for being part of our See, Believe, & Achieve family and THANK YOU for taking the time to share this insightful and helpful post. If you have some mental health and wellness tips you'd like to share with our readers, feel free to contact us! Happy reading, Ane Photo Credit: Pexels, Pixabay Suicide

Self Love

Self love and respect are two life essentials and lessons. May we all find the path that leads us to the road of self acceptance and may we never forget our inner strength, uniqueness, and ability to overcome life's challenges. To others you will always be too much or not enough of something, but what matters most is how you "See" and "Believe" in yourself. Once this is accomplished, you can "Achieve" anything your heart desires. Wishing you all a beautiful start to the weekend!  Big hugs, Ane 

Ane Romero Featured in Article with "Project UROK"

  Click Here for Project UROK Page   Click Here for Project UROK Instagram  “I began this work in memory of a close friend I lost to suicide and in keeping her memory alive, I found my life’s purpose.” -Ane How do you support Latinx mental health? It definitely has been a journey filled with gratitude, where no day is the same. One day I can be driving three hours out to a rural part of my state to provide a suicide prevention training for a school. The next day I’ll be working on mental health policy change. At times it’s been late nights on a Friday evening (because that’s when a crisis happens), calling all my mental health contacts to successfully identify a provider who can take in a new client immediately. Some days it’s sitting on the sidewalk sharing a sandwich with my friend Aaron, who is homeless and suffers from mental illness–hoping that our conversation will get him to agree to see a provider. It’s nights filled with frustration over our broken mental