Skip to main content

Thinking Outside of the Box

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."— Mencius 

Caine's Arcade

Today my co-worker sent me a super rad video about a 9-year old boy named Caine from East Los Angeles, who built his own arcade out of cardboard boxes. He runs the arcade out of his dad's used auto part store and even used his own toys as many of the prizes. You HAVE to watch the video to see how amazing this story really is. His innovation is captivating and humbling. In a society plagued with digital gadgets (ahem yes, that includes you reading this on your iPhone/iPad haha), Caine reminded me of how important it is to not lose your ability to be creative.

His story gives new meaning to the term "think outside the box!" He literally did just that and more than anything I believe Caine's Arcade sets a good example to us all of what can be accomplished by using our imagination. Growing up I remember making the most elaborate things out of boxes or things found around the house. Heck, Barbie had the best house as far as I'm concerned and it was simply made from my mom's old shoe boxes. Some of my best childhood memories were pulling my little brother and sister around in a large box, with a jump rope tied to the end. I would stuff my siblings in there with all my stuffed animals, tie a jump rope to the front of the box and PULL AWAY! We would use the old box until the bottom was so worn it wouldn't slide anymore.

Watching Caine's story I was reminded of all those good times and more than anything grateful that my parents did not jump at every opportunity to buy us the newest toy around. Maybe I did not realize it then, but boy did it open doors for my imagination to be set free. Caine's arcade while simple, is so much more complex in theory. This will hopefully set the foundation for a bright future to one day own his own arcade, and I bet it will be one of the very best out there. I just hope that when that day arrives he keeps with the simplicity of what he has today.

I hope you enjoyed this video as much as I did! It made me so excited that I just may go home and build a fort out of blankets and my dining room chairs! The best part about doing this now, is I do not have to make sure it is down by dinner time. Forget planning a trip to Disney Land, if you are heading to sunny California make sure you stop by Caine's Arcade and do not forget to get the "fun pass" it is worth 500 plays!

I wish Caine much success in his business and hope this inspires us all to never lose our inner child.

-Ane :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self Love

Self love and respect are two life essentials and lessons. May we all find the path that leads us to the road of self acceptance and may we never forget our inner strength, uniqueness, and ability to overcome life's challenges. To others you will always be too much or not enough of something, but what matters most is how you "See" and "Believe" in yourself. Once this is accomplished, you can "Achieve" anything your heart desires. Wishing you all a beautiful start to the weekend!  Big hugs, Ane 

See You At The Gym! On The Road To Becoming Physically and Mentally Fit.

I like many others made a resolution to get fit- both financially and physically. If I could do it once (during my pageant days), of course I could do it again, right? After two days of weight training (5 lb dumbbells) and stair climber I could barely lift my arms to get dressed in the morning, much less get in and out of my car without wincing. As I sat reeking of Icy Hot , reality set in...and it wasn't pretty. I was out of shape! Being physically fit definitely contributes to being mentally fit. A study by Arizona State has proven the positive effects related to mental health, through physical fitness. Findings showed that consistent exercise decreased feelings of anxiety and depression, and increased self-esteem, ability to deal with stressful situations, and contributed to better sleep patters. It is also hypothesized that regular exercise can combat the onset of depression (although further study needed to be done). Today, it is estimated that 1 out of every 5 Americans wil

"National Call to Action Against Suicide"

Jason Mraz "I Won't Give Up"  Should you or someone you know need help, contact the National Crisis Hotline at 1-800-273-8255 (TALK) As I write these words, I am numb knowing that 17-year old Carlos Vigil took his own life in my home state of New Mexico. He was part of a well known youth center I enjoyed stopping by on visits back home. I always felt inspired by what the innovative things the youth were doing and the sincere caring nature of the staff always sent me back to Washington, DC with a new sense of hope. I write this as a message to those suffering in silence and to honor the memory of a young life gone to soon. No matter what troubles lie in your path, please know that suicide is not the answer. It does not matter if you knew Carlos Vigil personally, because every time a child dies by suicide, it is a tragic loss to all of humanity.  From what I have read Carlos was a compassionate leader. He was a member of a well-known youth center in his communi