Skip to main content

Getting Through the Loneliness, Together

With so much to learn about the brain and mental illness I love to fill up my "learning cup" whenever possible. I would like address the issue in my post below and also share a thought provoking article by Judith Shulevitz, regarding the work of Fromm-Reichmann and her essay "On Loneliness." You can find her article by clicking on the following link here: The Lethality of Loneliness By JUDITH SHULEVITZ

Getting Through the Loneliness, Together

Isolation and loneliness are a topic of personal interest, especially because of my work with youth and knowing that in some severe situations loneliness/isolation serve as a risk factor/warning sign for depression and suicidal ideation. While some may not fully understand what mental illness is, the feeling of loneliness and isolation are something each of us can relate to at one time or another. This "pain" is what many living with a mental illness experience daily and recent studies show the negative effects loneliness/isolation have on the brain and body.

In elementary, I was often the target of mean comments from classmates about my weight. I often felt alone and different from the other kids at school, but Luckily I had a strong support system at home and often found comfort in my mother's wisdom that, “sometimes it is better to have no friends, than to have bad friends." However, it still did not ease the anxiousness I felt when the bell rang for lunch, leaving me to agonize whether or not someone would allow me to sit by them. Not knowing where I "belonged" among my peers made for some challenging moments growing up, but in turn I strongly believe it played a role in who I am today. As Shulevitz points out in her article, feelings of rejection signal the part of the brain (dorsal anterior cingulate cortex) that inflicts pain. Over time increased isolation can negatively impact the brain and even decrease life expectancy. This is why bullying is such a serious issue and the lasting effects can be far more devastating in the long run.

Writing this, I am reminded of the scene from "Cast Away," where Tom Hanks loses his best buddy "Wilson" (the volleyball) to a tidal wave. Through the years scientists have been able to connect the role loneliness plays on our mental and physical health. The need to be connected to others is in our DNA, ever wonder why Facebook and other social outlets are so popular worldwide? Yet, reports show that while we may feel "connected" there is often an increase in feelings of loneliness, as we are forced to compare our lives to that of our "friends." On this issue, I would like to kindly remind folks that social media only lets us see what people want us to see and while you may not be "checking-in" at the gym as much as you'd like or jet setting across the planet to fill your "Map Places" with tiny red balloons, it does not make our lives any less important or interesting.

Feelings of loneliness affect people of all backgrounds. Help is available and the negative effects can be reversed when we are able to connect and/or take part in group activities like an athletic team or even caring for a pet. Everyone gets lonely, but it is important to remember that we are NEVER alone. If you experience constant feelings of loneliness and isolation, it is important to tell a trusted friend, family member, and seek professional help. Think about the role of spirituality in your life (whatever that may be) and find opportunities to volunteer and meet others who may also need someone to connect with. Your life has meaning and purpose. We all have so much good to contribute to this world and whatever sadness and pain we are experiencing now, is only temporary. None of us can get through life alone. We are in this together and together is how we move forward. Please know that, although we may have never met your life matters to me and I am grateful for the technology that allows us to be connected today. No matter where you may find yourself in life, always remember you are never, ever, ever alone.

If you or someone you know would like to talk to a mental health professional, please call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) any time and any hour of the day or night.

Hugs,
Ane :)






   
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self Love

Self love and respect are two life essentials and lessons. May we all find the path that leads us to the road of self acceptance and may we never forget our inner strength, uniqueness, and ability to overcome life's challenges. To others you will always be too much or not enough of something, but what matters most is how you "See" and "Believe" in yourself. Once this is accomplished, you can "Achieve" anything your heart desires. Wishing you all a beautiful start to the weekend!  Big hugs, Ane 

See You At The Gym! On The Road To Becoming Physically and Mentally Fit.

I like many others made a resolution to get fit- both financially and physically. If I could do it once (during my pageant days), of course I could do it again, right? After two days of weight training (5 lb dumbbells) and stair climber I could barely lift my arms to get dressed in the morning, much less get in and out of my car without wincing. As I sat reeking of Icy Hot , reality set in...and it wasn't pretty. I was out of shape! Being physically fit definitely contributes to being mentally fit. A study by Arizona State has proven the positive effects related to mental health, through physical fitness. Findings showed that consistent exercise decreased feelings of anxiety and depression, and increased self-esteem, ability to deal with stressful situations, and contributed to better sleep patters. It is also hypothesized that regular exercise can combat the onset of depression (although further study needed to be done). Today, it is estimated that 1 out of every 5 Americans wil

"National Call to Action Against Suicide"

Jason Mraz "I Won't Give Up"  Should you or someone you know need help, contact the National Crisis Hotline at 1-800-273-8255 (TALK) As I write these words, I am numb knowing that 17-year old Carlos Vigil took his own life in my home state of New Mexico. He was part of a well known youth center I enjoyed stopping by on visits back home. I always felt inspired by what the innovative things the youth were doing and the sincere caring nature of the staff always sent me back to Washington, DC with a new sense of hope. I write this as a message to those suffering in silence and to honor the memory of a young life gone to soon. No matter what troubles lie in your path, please know that suicide is not the answer. It does not matter if you knew Carlos Vigil personally, because every time a child dies by suicide, it is a tragic loss to all of humanity.  From what I have read Carlos was a compassionate leader. He was a member of a well-known youth center in his communi