Skip to main content

Go B-A-N-A-N-A-S for Mental Health!


Well, thanks to Gwen Stefani's song "Hollaback Girl" I will forever know how to correctly spell the word banana. This fruit is my favorite of all time, not only because it tastes great, but it is one of the best brain foods. Bananas contain Tryptophan, which is an essential amino acid that converts to Serotonine. Seretonine is what affects our mood, causing us to feel happy (high serotinine) or sad (low serotonine). During my talks about mental health, I constantly refer to the term Serotonine, which serves as the base in helping to send out signals to various parts of the brain. Although Serotonine is developed in the brain the majority of it is stored in our digestive tract. This is just another reason why eating healthy is so important not only for your physical health, but mental health as well. So back to why bananas are rad. The Tryptophan found in bananas is also found in turkey and other protein foods. Tryptophan is associated with that sleepy feeling you get after that big Thanksgiving dinner. I tell ya, share this info at the dinner table this year and your potential in-laws will think you're the smarty pants they were hoping their son/daughter would always find!

Personally, I love bananas and have found them to be beneficial not just to my mental health, but also physical health. In prepping for Miss America and that pesky swimsuit portion of competition, I ate at least five bananas a day. Not only are they good for your mental health, but also help with weight loss and insomnia. Feeling a little puffy? Eat a banana. Had a little too much to drink during that Sunday night football game and your head is pounding? Slice a banana in your cereal. The list goes on and on! So the next time you're having a bad day and need an extra boost, instead of reaching for that can of soda or candy bar- try eating a banana first and see how you feel.

Now, who would have thought a simple fruit would have such great benefits? Maybe a banana a day is what really keeps the doctor away? Hmmmm....now maybe that's something that would make Gwen sing, "This shhhh is bananas...B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

PS- Check out this great link that tells you a little more about how awesome bananas are- Going Bananas

With love,
Ane :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self Love

Self love and respect are two life essentials and lessons. May we all find the path that leads us to the road of self acceptance and may we never forget our inner strength, uniqueness, and ability to overcome life's challenges. To others you will always be too much or not enough of something, but what matters most is how you "See" and "Believe" in yourself. Once this is accomplished, you can "Achieve" anything your heart desires. Wishing you all a beautiful start to the weekend!  Big hugs, Ane 

See You At The Gym! On The Road To Becoming Physically and Mentally Fit.

I like many others made a resolution to get fit- both financially and physically. If I could do it once (during my pageant days), of course I could do it again, right? After two days of weight training (5 lb dumbbells) and stair climber I could barely lift my arms to get dressed in the morning, much less get in and out of my car without wincing. As I sat reeking of Icy Hot , reality set in...and it wasn't pretty. I was out of shape! Being physically fit definitely contributes to being mentally fit. A study by Arizona State has proven the positive effects related to mental health, through physical fitness. Findings showed that consistent exercise decreased feelings of anxiety and depression, and increased self-esteem, ability to deal with stressful situations, and contributed to better sleep patters. It is also hypothesized that regular exercise can combat the onset of depression (although further study needed to be done). Today, it is estimated that 1 out of every 5 Americans wil

"National Call to Action Against Suicide"

Jason Mraz "I Won't Give Up"  Should you or someone you know need help, contact the National Crisis Hotline at 1-800-273-8255 (TALK) As I write these words, I am numb knowing that 17-year old Carlos Vigil took his own life in my home state of New Mexico. He was part of a well known youth center I enjoyed stopping by on visits back home. I always felt inspired by what the innovative things the youth were doing and the sincere caring nature of the staff always sent me back to Washington, DC with a new sense of hope. I write this as a message to those suffering in silence and to honor the memory of a young life gone to soon. No matter what troubles lie in your path, please know that suicide is not the answer. It does not matter if you knew Carlos Vigil personally, because every time a child dies by suicide, it is a tragic loss to all of humanity.  From what I have read Carlos was a compassionate leader. He was a member of a well-known youth center in his communi