Skip to main content

Kate Middleton Has New Title...

Last year, I joined the millions of viewers around the globe to watch the royal wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton. In all its spectacular glory, Kate's genuine nature never seemed to get overshadowed. This quickly made me think twice about just who Kate Middleton was and where the path ahead would lead her. Yet, I must confess that it didn't take much to make me a fan. I mean the affinity for all things girly and that sparkle lies within my DNA :). However, this week's announcement that her Royal Duchess would be using her status to champion the issue of addiction and recovery solidified my "groupie status." 

In some instances, mental illness and substance abuse are coexisting disorders. Many professionals within the field of addiction and recovery have recognized that mental health also plays an intricate role in recovery. To add to this, findings also show that over 50% of suicides in the U.S. were completed while under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of death. What some fail to recognize is that alcohol is a downer, meaning that it decreases brain activity and lowers ones ability to make clear decisions. To state it clearly, drugs and alcohol are NOT the answer to solving any problem, if anything they will only make things worse. Addiction and dependency on drugs and alcohol is an issue that comes with a stigma, just like that related to mental illness. This is why someone with star status, as Kate, should be applauded for her efforts to shed light on an issue that most certainly does not come with any fanfare. In fact, this is an issue that for too long has lived silently in the shadows, riddled with stigma. Taking on addiction and recovery, speaks volumes about her courage and sincere concern for others.

There was just something in reading the Los Angeles Times headline, "Kate Middleton's new cause: addiction and recovery" that made me sit up a little more straight and smile. Could it be true, Kate Middleton is truly one of us (mental health, addiction/recovery community)? Although she has yet to begin any work on this cause, there is no doubt about her ability to fulfill the task. If there is one thing I have found during my time working in the area of mental health advocacy, it's that it truly is a small world.    The mental health community may be few, but they are mighty and, boy do things get done! It is a community that I am very proud and honored to be apart of. It is a field where the path is often filled by naysayers, speed bumps, road blocks, re-routing, hills, potholes, and so on, but still they move forward to ensure that those without a voice are represented. So, in retrospect, it only makes sense for the Royal Dutchess to join the cause. After all, what other noble act is there than to genuinely and truly care about the life of another human being. To be motivated solely by the appreciation for life. To believe with every ounce of your being, that tomorrow is a better day and most importantly to have faith. That to me is a unique quality that shines brighter than any jewel at Kensigton Palace. 

So, it looks like England's future Queen has a new title, Kate Middleton, Addiction and Recovery Advocate. Sounds pretty darn good to me! I know the mental health, addiction, and recovery community welcomes her with open arms. Who would have ever thought working in mental health could look so fancy?

Hmmm...so, this is what really happens after the princess marries the the prince! Disney....please take note!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self Love

Self love and respect are two life essentials and lessons. May we all find the path that leads us to the road of self acceptance and may we never forget our inner strength, uniqueness, and ability to overcome life's challenges. To others you will always be too much or not enough of something, but what matters most is how you "See" and "Believe" in yourself. Once this is accomplished, you can "Achieve" anything your heart desires. Wishing you all a beautiful start to the weekend!  Big hugs, Ane 

See You At The Gym! On The Road To Becoming Physically and Mentally Fit.

I like many others made a resolution to get fit- both financially and physically. If I could do it once (during my pageant days), of course I could do it again, right? After two days of weight training (5 lb dumbbells) and stair climber I could barely lift my arms to get dressed in the morning, much less get in and out of my car without wincing. As I sat reeking of Icy Hot , reality set in...and it wasn't pretty. I was out of shape! Being physically fit definitely contributes to being mentally fit. A study by Arizona State has proven the positive effects related to mental health, through physical fitness. Findings showed that consistent exercise decreased feelings of anxiety and depression, and increased self-esteem, ability to deal with stressful situations, and contributed to better sleep patters. It is also hypothesized that regular exercise can combat the onset of depression (although further study needed to be done). Today, it is estimated that 1 out of every 5 Americans wil

"National Call to Action Against Suicide"

Jason Mraz "I Won't Give Up"  Should you or someone you know need help, contact the National Crisis Hotline at 1-800-273-8255 (TALK) As I write these words, I am numb knowing that 17-year old Carlos Vigil took his own life in my home state of New Mexico. He was part of a well known youth center I enjoyed stopping by on visits back home. I always felt inspired by what the innovative things the youth were doing and the sincere caring nature of the staff always sent me back to Washington, DC with a new sense of hope. I write this as a message to those suffering in silence and to honor the memory of a young life gone to soon. No matter what troubles lie in your path, please know that suicide is not the answer. It does not matter if you knew Carlos Vigil personally, because every time a child dies by suicide, it is a tragic loss to all of humanity.  From what I have read Carlos was a compassionate leader. He was a member of a well-known youth center in his communi