Skip to main content

Financially Fit Status Update...

My New Year's resolution for 2012 included being "Financially Fit." If you didn't read my blog for that week, here's the link http://www.seebelieveandachieve.com/2012/01/2012.html or you can scroll through down find what changes I've committed myself to working on for 2012.

I am happy to report that things are on track thanks to a budget formula from finance guru Suzie Orman (LOVE her!). About two years ago, I watched a special where she provided this budget tool. It has put my spending habits in check and keeps me focused on reaching my goal to be financially fit. I have found this to be helpful, but you may need to make adjustments according to your own situation. However, it is a great start!

Having my finances in order helps to keep my mental health balanced, especially during tough economic times. I hope you find the information below helpful and that it aids to get you back on the money track. I'm sure am glad I wrote her formula down at the time, because I have had no luck finding anything online regarding her budget formula (phew!). Ready, set, go!

Big hugs,
Ane :)


Suzie Orman Budget Formula:
  • Get a journal to keep a list of all your monthly expenses. Place the month on the top and the date. 
    • Use your journal to list all bills. After you make a payment put the date and any confirmation numbers next to the item. Being organized is SUPER helpful when you're trying to get financially fit. 
  • Set time to pay bills.
    • I set aside no less than an hour to do this and I try not to make any purchases before doing this. The sooner you make your budget, the more aware you will be as to what you can spend.
    • Be honest. It can be a little overwhelming, but remember we have to start somewhere.
    • Start by taking the total amount of net income you bring in each month.
    • Use the formula below to calculate just how much you should be spending in each area. Depending on your own situation, you can work around it to fit your budget/spending
% Budget Formula:
Percentage is based on net income and what should be spent in each area. 
30% : Rent/Mortgage Payment 
16% : House hold expenses (utilities, internet, phone, etc.)
13%: Transportation (car payment, insurance, gas)
10%: Entertainment (movies, dinner w/friends, etc.)
10%  Savings- This amount should go directly to a savings account, preferably one you have limited access to. 
10% Debt Payment (credit card bills, parking tickets, etc.)
7%: Groceries
4% Miscellaneous (emergency funds such as tire repair, plumber, fees) 


Popular posts from this blog

Self Love

Self love and respect are two life essentials and lessons. May we all find the path that leads us to the road of self acceptance and may we never forget our inner strength, uniqueness, and ability to overcome life's challenges. To others you will always be too much or not enough of something, but what matters most is how you "See" and "Believe" in yourself. Once this is accomplished, you can "Achieve" anything your heart desires. Wishing you all a beautiful start to the weekend!  Big hugs, Ane 

See You At The Gym! On The Road To Becoming Physically and Mentally Fit.

I like many others made a resolution to get fit- both financially and physically. If I could do it once (during my pageant days), of course I could do it again, right? After two days of weight training (5 lb dumbbells) and stair climber I could barely lift my arms to get dressed in the morning, much less get in and out of my car without wincing. As I sat reeking of Icy Hot , reality set in...and it wasn't pretty. I was out of shape! Being physically fit definitely contributes to being mentally fit. A study by Arizona State has proven the positive effects related to mental health, through physical fitness. Findings showed that consistent exercise decreased feelings of anxiety and depression, and increased self-esteem, ability to deal with stressful situations, and contributed to better sleep patters. It is also hypothesized that regular exercise can combat the onset of depression (although further study needed to be done). Today, it is estimated that 1 out of every 5 Americans wil

"National Call to Action Against Suicide"

Jason Mraz "I Won't Give Up"  Should you or someone you know need help, contact the National Crisis Hotline at 1-800-273-8255 (TALK) As I write these words, I am numb knowing that 17-year old Carlos Vigil took his own life in my home state of New Mexico. He was part of a well known youth center I enjoyed stopping by on visits back home. I always felt inspired by what the innovative things the youth were doing and the sincere caring nature of the staff always sent me back to Washington, DC with a new sense of hope. I write this as a message to those suffering in silence and to honor the memory of a young life gone to soon. No matter what troubles lie in your path, please know that suicide is not the answer. It does not matter if you knew Carlos Vigil personally, because every time a child dies by suicide, it is a tragic loss to all of humanity.  From what I have read Carlos was a compassionate leader. He was a member of a well-known youth center in his communi